(2018-05-26) Thieves at the Dockyard
House Farro visit the docks in search of thieves.
marsilia vittore 
An
Summary:
The members of House Farro discover a smuggling ring right there at the dockyard.
Related:

This is the finale to these logs:

http://valorous.wikidot.com/log:2018-05-07-a-sister-s-return
http://valorous.wikidot.com/log:2018-05-010-interrogating-the-staff

Misc Info:
Any other details to add? Commentary on the intent of the scene, anything to point out, other information other players may find useful or amusing?
corso 

After the interrogation of the house staff and with the poor maid tearfully telling the nobles everything she knows about those responsible for the theft, the nobles of House Farro only have her words to go on and who knows how accurate the young maid is. The first thing she said was that they are often by the docks. In fact, that is where they were when they delivered goods to the house to begin with, which put them in contact with the maid and allowed them some knowledge of the basic layout of the villa. If anything, that would be the best place to start, but would they really have their warehouse there as well?

Marsilia, with her husband and brother-in-law and probably various house guards set out towards the dock yard to see what they can find about these thieves. More than likely, due to their 'occupation', the Farro villa is not the only home that they invaded or are making plans to.

*

The docks, fortunately, are a close walk! Once they have the information, Vittore decides on taking a trip to see what can be found. And given both the rough and tumble nature of ports the world over, and precisely who it is that they're looking for, he has of course found Corso and asked his more dueling-inclined younger brother along. "I should think a show of force should be enough to handle things if we can track them down," he muses, as they stroll the pierside streets. "After all, once we have them we can summon the Wyverns. It strikes me that they may be more likely to flee than fight." He glances around, as the walk. "The girl told us where she saw them, likely they work thereabouts, we can see if they are doing so now- or it not, find someone who knows them. If not there then at the nearest tavern or bawdy house, I'd suspect."

*

Corso has been called in, because, sometimes you need to hit people with a sword, and he's rather good at this. "You know, we ran across some smugglers in the city not long ago." He says, "I wonder if they are connected, the guards have some sort of ledger or something, though it was in code." He muses a little, glancing over at Marsilia and Vittore. "They likely will run if they are given any proper fight, or even an improper one at that."

*

(>-------<)
| Marsilia (Recognize) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 4 Mod: 0 Total: 4 |
| Roll: 11 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Vittore (Recognize) |
| -----— |
| Fumble! |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 3 Mod: 0 Total: 3 |
| Roll: 20 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Corso (Recognize) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 3 Mod: 0 Total: 3 |
| Roll: 10 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Marsilia is primarily here for good measure. She was there during the maid's interrogation and has retained much information from it. As they make their way through the dockyard, the young contessa tries her best to see if any of the faces in the crowd are familiar to her. Not one to pay attention to random workers even if they are delivering her fine silks, unfortunately, she doesn't recognize anyone who could have visited the villa. The area is just so busy now with large amounts of people coming and going, some well-dressed, others looking like ruffians, but how is she to tell a an actual ruffian from a dock worker?

Nevertheless, it would only make sense to push further where many the warehouses are. Along the way, however, there are various merchants, ship captains and individuals of that sort to be found. Surely, someone must know something.

*

"Let's hope. Improper is about as good as I can offer," Vittore remarks with a chuckle. But he does not appear too worried, given that they are in the midst of the city, hardly all that far from aid. At least until things start heading down dark alleys! Unfortunately, it seems no one has a mark on any of the men involved as they stroll the quayside itself. Little surprise in his case, as he does little business directly with the working men of the docks, but rather through his agents and ship captains and the like. But he does know some of said captains, both his own and the others that busy the port. And he knows at least one tavern where they drink. So that is his first stop, to ask if any might have worked with this particular group of men - or have heard of their dealings.

*

(>-------<)
| Vittore (Intrigue) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 0 Mod: 0 Total: 0 |
| Roll: 11 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Vittore (Manipulate) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 8 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Corso (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 13 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Marsilia (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 5 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Corso's attention has wandered off towards a couple of the dockside ladies as they walk along, but he soon looks back to Vittore and nods, "The gang we busted up had youths working as lookouts, but their cargo got away before we got through the door. I don't see any young lads around though."

*

While she does do business at the dockyard occassionally, Marsilia does not to linger around for too long. Especially not when it is as busy as it is today. A ship had recently docked, so goods are moving from the ship to the warehouse. At the same time, other goods are being prepared to be delivered to the private warehouses of various notable families within the city.

In the tavern, Vittore meets up with a captain who he had worked with in the past and the two exchange words, information and so forth. Apparently, the captain had heard of these thefts, but more in the form of complaints coming into the yard regarding missing shipments. If it were anyone other than a Conte, the captain may have left it at that, but if he wishes to do further business with House Farro, he goes a step further and introduces Vittore to some of his crew. Initially, there was some hesitation from a few of them about giving out info, but not wanting to anger both the conte and the ship's captain, a pair of these sailors eventually say, "Didn't really want to think about it, you know. You hear things sometimes and you see things too. Now, we don't wanna get into any trouble, but a Teodor who works at the warehouse near the far end of the dockyard, well, he might be up to no good." They end with a quick, "You never heard it from us, okay?"

Marsilia, while lingering with some of the family guards outside of the tavern, does notice something which Corso had missed. Perhaps because she is small in stature, so when a brief opening appears before her, at eye level, she does see signs of young boys off into the distance. The tall people walking about were blocking Corso's view from them. "Could that be then over there?"

*

With that name in hand, Vittore departs: and he leaves a couple coins to pay for the men's next rounds as well. Useful sailors are worth keeping friendly. Stepping back outside, it's a good thing he learned something before they had to check the bawdy houses, right? Otherwise they'd never get Corso back! "Seems we have a name and a working place," he remarks, finding his brother milling about. Though a nod is given on the thoughts about the ongoing behavior. "I do wonder how its all connected. I suppose smugglers, thieves, fences, and the like must all run in similar circles, and often require one anothers skills. I suppose if we locate anything beyond our goods, any information, we'll turn that all over to the Wyverns and see what they make of it."

Marsi's sharp eye is probably the more important, though, if they're not to scare the lookouts. "What do you think?" he wonders between the other two. "Maybe Marsi could approach them? We'd scare them off, but an unarmed lady they might not suspect. See if you could sweet talk them, or even just give them a few coins to be off. I doubt they're paid well by these smugglers."

*

Corso glances over to where Marsillia is indicating, then to Vittore and he nods his head, "It's not the worst plan, though I should be nearby incase there's any trouble, just to be on the safe side that is." He says to the two, "The toughs we ran into weren't too inclined to fight, though some of the older ones inside the warehouse were."

*

(>-------<)
| Marsilia (Manipulate) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 9 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Marsilia is taken by surprise by her own husband's suggestion, but she supposes he is right. The petite young contessa didn't look overly intimidating at first glance, so they may be fooled as long as she can hide the overly scrutinizing intensity within her eyes. That seems to scare a few people! Without another word she sets off, gracefully weaving her way through the crowd and gracing a few passing faces with a friendly enough smile and kind words. This act alone does keep the boys' attention away from her, so much that when she finally draws closer to where they are lingering like little hoodlums, they don't seem overly suspicious.

"Do you work here? At the dockyards?" The Contessa di Farro says in an almost sweet chirping voice to the boys and to this a few of them confirm that they do. "It's a hot day today and you are all working terribly hard at keeping the dockyard running properly, I do hope that you are being paid well enough. But I am elated to see such hard working young men," And here she reaches for her purse to offer each of the lads a bit of coin. "Go get yourselves something to eat or drink. You deserve it."

This is great news to the street rats and some of them even become all courteous as they rush off for something good to put in their bellies. "Well, that solves that issue." She says in a quiet tone to herself before looking over her shoulder towards the others to let them know that the coast is clear, as far as she can see.

*

Of course, bearing Corso's concern (and, one would hope, his own!) in mind, Vittore doesn't let Marsilia get too far from them, finding some point where they can observe from a bit of cover while she approaches. But the lads themselves aren't thugs, and so he judges the risks, at least for this part, to be low. Plus, she came along! Gotta put her to use. But once the boys are gone, he approaches, giving the building a bit of a once-over. "Shall we check around for other exits, maybe? Then scope it out as best we can. If we can spot anything before they spot us, we'll have a bit of advantage, either to call the guards immediately or perhaps just catch them off guard."

*

"We don't know how many, or if any are inside." Corso says as he steps up, "So it could be dangerous to go in, but if the goal is t just acquire what they've taken, then going in the front and giving them room to run out the back would be a sound option, they won't be able to run off with anything too valuable, if it's goods we're looking to recover."

*

(>-------<)
| Marsilia (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 2 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Vittore nods along at Corso's thinking. "I do like that, making sure they have a way to go, but not a way out with our things." Here, though, since there is some danger, he glances back at Marsilia. "You probably ought back off, and perhaps return to fetch some of our men, just in case?" But he admits, "Catching them isn't really oru cocnern, so long our things are there and we can scare them off. Lets poke inside a little."

*

(>-------<)
| Vittore (Dex) |
| -----— |
| Critical Success! |
| -
------ |
| Attribute: 15 Roll: 15 |
(>-------<)

*

The best that Marsilia can do now is be vigilant and that she is. Occasionally, she will check back into the crowd to see if any of the boys are returning yet, but she did hand them each a sizeable amount of coin, so she hopes that it will keep them occupied for some time. She also turns her gaze towards the warehouse itself, almost as if she were sizing it up. "There is at least one person up near the window on the second level of the building." She even gestures to the men so that they see him too and know when the best time to make their move will be. As for who is near the front door, that would be anyone's guess as the door is mostly closed, though there is a slight opening if one wanted to take a look or go one step further than even that.

*

Corso isn't a particularly stealthy person, in armor and everything, so he waits outside for the time being while Vittore goes and takes a peak. He readies his shield, and his sword however, should there be cries of panic or danger coming from his brother as he snoops!

*

Well, it seems Vittore is concerned for finding his missing goods, for he does dare to actually poke inside, opening a door and managing to slip through it without making too huge of a fuss. Even then, he's not about to ninja around the whole of the warehouse or get too far beyond Corso - he wants a view of the main space, where whatever goods are likely to be stocked, and perhaps a count of the men present - beyond the lookout spotted bby the window. When he comes back out, it is hopefully with good news, though the number will likely make all the difference - on whether they may need to rely on calling some reinforcements to flush the smugglers from their den.

*

From Vittore's viewpoint, he can see that there are goods stacked off to the side with several of them already packed away on wagons. Figuring out which of these boxes contain their silk may take a while. As for the amount of people within and working, there is the one figure that can be seen on the 2nd floor walkway, but he seems to be chatting with someone downstairs rather than keeping a watch to see if the orphans are still on guard. Him aside, there are around three young men who are doing the bulk of the manual labor and one lone person overseeing the whole thing. With ledger in hand, he seems to be reviewing something and looks rather distracted. There are most likely more people working for the crew, but as the new ship had just sailed in, they could very well be busy moving those goods out at this moment.

*

Vittore returns with what news he has. "Unfortunately there's a fair lot of them, I'd say more than we could handle if they all come at us, though it's hard to say if the workmen would have much interest in fighting. But the watchman up at the window, and the one who seems in charge were both properly armed." He frowns a bit. "They're definitely planning to move out soon, I couldn't really see inside the crates but whatever they've got, it's likely in there."

*

Success
Marsilia makes a check for Test at 10, she rolled 4.

*

Corso has partially disconnected.

*

"Well." Corso says with a hmmn, "A show of force might drive them to flee anyway, they would likely assume the Wyverns are coming shortly after us, or are already here. If we have the men make noise outside, beat on a door or something like they're trying to bust in perhaps?"

*

"Marsilia, go contact the actual guard, if you can find any about, or return and bring some of our men if not," Vittore instructs, to be certain his wife is far from any danger this might stir up. It's not even as if their house is far! He'd wait as well, if it were not for the danger of the goods running off. "Lets go in the front ways, so they're tempted to leave the goods and flee. You make a fuss and wave your sword around and I'll keep behind you and if they make a fight of it, perhaps take a shot or two."

*

Though she's eager to stay and help, even if it is to act as her family's look out, Marsilia understands the danger involved in what comes next. "Very well." She says, turning to leave, but before she does say, she adds, "And be careful." This is more to Vittore than Corso, alas! Those words spoken, she makes her way through the crowd of dockworkers and merchants alike. She knows that the Wyvern Company guards should be patrolling somewhere along the docks, so she heads to the nearest location that makes sense.

*

Corso has partially disconnected.

*

"Marsilia, go contact the actual guard, if you can find any about, or return and bring some of our men if not," Vittore instructs, to be certain his wife is far from any danger this might stir up. It's not even as if their house is far! He'd wait as well, if it were not for the danger of the goods running off. "Lets go in the front ways, so they're tempted to leave the goods and flee. You make a fuss and wave your sword around and I'll keep behind you and if they make a fight of it, perhaps take a shot or two."

*

"So, wait for Marsilia to come back with some help, unless we hear some ruckus inside, then we go in early?" Corso asks as Marsilia goes off on the task, glancing over at Vittore a bit, "I don't imagine many of them will stay longer then it takes to cut down the first of them. The boss might, perhaps."

*

Vittore seems about ready one way or another, although he gives a quick nod. "We can give it a moment unless it seems they're about done packing up to go." In that spirit, he will make the crossbow ready - since properly loading up the thing takes a few moments and it's generally not wise to run around with them loaded.

*

Now that they are closer to the building and know what sound cues to focus on, it's easier to tell how far along the group of thieves are to sending the wagons out to be delivered to who knows where. Several moments do pass and luckily for the group, Marsilia finds the thieving kids on her way to locate the Wyvern. Knowing that she can't allow them to return to their post, she offers to pay them extra if they would act as her escort and body guard on her little journey. What she will do with them once she locates the Wyverns is anyone's guess.

With the little brats out of the way, the thieves inside have no idea that they are being watched. One of them shouts to another, a sound that can be heard even over the busy noise from the dockyard, "This one's ready to go." Looks like one of the wagons is completely filled. At least one or two of those inside will be riding out with the wagon. There is still another wagon to be filled.

*

"Looks like we're running out of time, hmmn?" Corso says as he hears the sounds inside. He adjusts his shield ever so slightly then moves up towards the door, "We need to take the fellow off the wagon first before it gets going. Be ready with that crossbow of yours!"

*

It does seem they'll not be free to wait any longer. "Alright, let's put a stop to this before it goes any further." With a nod to his brother that he's free to get to business, Vittore moves to the ready as well. The crossbow is raised and readied, and aimed squarely at the man driving the wagon. He does refrain from shooting on the spot, hoping perhaps that the notion of a crossbow trained dead on his chest might be a dissintentive. "Surrender, the lot of you - the Wyvern company is here to bring you lot to justice." Or hopefully they will be!? Details.

*

Failed.
Marsilia makes a check for Wagon Driver's Valor at 9, she rolled 12.

*

Critical Fail!
Marsilia makes a check for Upstairs Guard's Valor at 10, she rolled 20.

*

Failed.
Marsilia makes a check for Random Worker 1's valor at 8, she rolled 15.

*

Success
Marsilia makes a check for Random Worker 2's valor at 8, she rolled 4.

*

Critical Success!
Marsilia makes a check for Warehouse Boss' valor at 10, she rolled 10.

*

There's actually one worker at the large door looking ready to push the thing open wider so that the wagon has room to move, but he is the first one surprised by this little 'ambush'. There's little he can do now but watch in awe as the wagon steers crazily in his direction, the driver losing control after his initial start where he quickly abandon's ship… or wagon. The guard upstairs is quick to take action, but with his surprise by these intruders, he loses his footing on the upstairs landing and practically falls over the edge to land in a hard THUMP on the ground below, leaving him pretty banged up. At the sight of this, the worker at the door begins to panic and pushes past the Farro family members as means of escape.

With the fallen driver scrambling to make it to the side door, not wanting to go anywhere near the invaders, this does leave the final worker and the Warehouse boss alone to deal with the situation, "Get back here! Worthless fools!" He then points at the downed and injured guard, "This is what you were prepared to handle!" He then spits down at the fallen before drawing his own sword, "Who the bloody hell are you?" As back up, he has a less than enthustiastic thug by his side, equipped with his trusty dagger.

*

"Looks like most of them fled. Smart," Vittore remarks, though as the last pair seem intent on fighting, he swings the crossbow around to aim in their direction, since the driver is no longer a concern. "Last chance," he remarks. "Another step and I put one of these in you before my friend cuts down whatever's left."

*

Corso flourishes his sword as he steps in towards the Warehouse boss, "You'd be wise to throw it down." Corso says to him, "I've cut down better men then you." A glance over the man is given before he smirks slightly, "But if you wish to dance, we can see who is the better dancer."

*

Failed.
Marsilia makes a check for Warehouse Boss' Reckless at 10, she rolled 18.

*

Critical Fail!
Marsilia makes a check for Remaining Dock Worker's Valor at 8, she rolled 20.

*

"Get on that damn wagon!" The warehouse boss barks over at the remaining manual laborer. "And get it out of here!" Turning his attention back to the Farro pair, at first, it looks like he may very well try to take both of them on. His eyes look from Vittore and his crossbow to the approaching Corso. He's sweating hard and makes no false moves and he ponders his predicament, which to him, feels like an eternity. "Just go!" He gives one last shout before cursing himself before angrily throwing his sword to the ground.

The lone dockworker who had already jumped into the driver's seat of the wagon and looks ready to steer it on out of the warehouse catches a glimpse of his boss' defeat and he, too, quickly raises his hands and rather than be caught in the driver's seat, he bails out in a similar fashion as the original wagon driver.

Marsilia and some of the Wyvern Guards quickly draw near to the warehouse. It seems that some of those thieving children were captured, having panicked after running into the mercenaries.

*

Vittore certainly swings the crossbow around again, toward the last man who attempts to climb up onto the wagon to make a go of the escape, marching nearer that way as he does. It seems, though, that the man isn't intent on risking life or limb over the shipment, and likewise hops the other side. Well, that's about enough for Vittore. At this point, he moves up onto the wagon himself, as much to secure it (and make sure the animals don't bolt off and crash it or something) as much as get a better view around in case there's any more men lurking. But it seems not, and soon he hears the shouts of the Wyverns behind, and sees his wife returning with them. "They've mostly fled out the other side," he tells the guardsmen, in case any care to pursue. "Another fell, he's probably not scrambled far."

But he won't be aiding in the rounding up. As soon as the situation seems control, his interest turns toward the property - both to survey some of the crates to see what might belong to his family, as well as what other treasures might be mixed in. "The silks here belong to house Farro," he informs whoever looks to be in charge. "The rest, I've no notion." Maybe it will soon belong to the 'Wyvern Company Beverages & Whoring Fund.' No matter, so long as they recover what belongs to the family.

*

Corso moves to put away his sword and unbind his shield, "That was all a bit dissapointing, Brother." Corso comments as the burglars stop without putting up a fight, "I was looking forward to a little bit of a skirmish at least, but, at least we've recovered what was lost."

*

In the aftermath of their efforts, the Wyverns had found that many of the other items in crates on the wagon did, indeed, belong to other families and business. And while they do not always steal goods from the ships as they come in, due to not wanting to raise suspicion on themselves, it seems that their tactics to get servants and apprentices in various households to assist them in their endeavours, some out of fear, others out of greed, is one that they employ readily. Where were they taking these goods, one has to wonder? Some warehouse in the woods? Or somewhere further? One of these arrested criminals will eventually spill the beans.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License