(2018-05-24) Whats Lost is Found
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty; power is every stealing from the many to the few
aleksandr apollonio carina 
Far
Summary:
Departing from the mills at Pario, a small hamlet in the district of the Conte di Zanetti, a group of hired Wyvern Company mercs sets out to try and discover what may have happened with the lost shipment of planks due to the shipyards in Matora
Related:
The return of stolen goods related to debt to the city of Matora
Misc Info:
Three members of Wyvern Company, in full gear and regalia of a Ventura Company confront highwaymen who have sunk the ship and taken the planks. Just in time as they had found someone willing to buy the stolen shipment of wood.
gurian 

A nice spring day, open air skies with only a few billowing clouds. It was that day agreed upon to help Gurian di Zanetti. As the way from Matora to his district is no more than 10 miles, Gurian will ride along briefly, to head up ahead for business with barones there. He will take them to Pario, no more than a hamlet. It does have a watermill and several buildings to house manual pitsaw teams to cut wood for ships. A good place to start. They can talk to anyone they want, and then follow the river, instead of the road, southerly to search. "Thank you again for your assistance in this matter. The men here know where my estates are should you need anything, but I will leave you to the work." Like it was beneath his station. "Should you need anything, let me know?" A space of time offered, to see if they have more questions before he will turn away from Pario to let them conduct their investigation.

*

Carina had been informed and hired and so she is there with the others. Her expression is stoic as she looks to the conte and the tone he uses but he?s paying and she?s in the market to make money. stop her mount, she gives a concise nod before turning about. ?We can check the banks of the river to look for scuff marks, start there??

*

It is a leisurely ride for Aleksandr, as compared to some of his travels, taken through the nearby countryside. Whatever the Conte's business, well, one would imagine the details don't matter tremendously for any of the mercenary band - they're paid, Carina seeing to the contract, and so they're here. Gotta get that drinking money somewhere. Once they're there, he hauls off down his steed and ties it wherever they're unloading, and fetches his things from the saddle. His things include a big old axe. "You think they'll mind us just poking around looking for evidence of their wrongdoing?" he wonders, with a laugh. Then he heads that way anyhow. Let them mind!

*

During the entirety of the journey, Apollonio remains vigilant in his observation of the landscape as he rides alongside the others at a reasonable pace. Everyone they pass is given a scrutinizing look, but he does offer a nod of acknowledgement after the fact. When they spot the watermill in the distance, he begins to dismount and secure his horse to a post before moving to join the others in the investigation. "That sounds like a fair idea." He responds to Carina as they make their way towards the banks. Apollonio, himself, is looking for any signs of odd signs, which can be difficult if the area is well-used. In response to Aleksandr, The Savo Merc mutters, "The innocent have nothing to worry about."

*

Carina - Wed May 23 14:31:02 2018
Carina rolled for their Intrigue. The result is a Success with a roll of 8 against their skill level of 10 with a modified value of 10.

*

They may indeed mind at first when a few mercs show up to prod around. However, Carina is quick to indicate they just parted company with Gurian, good timing, a steward of the operation arrives to question. Then he nods to let anyone pass and gain access to anything at the quays and mills they would like. Which seems to result in very little out of the ordinary. However, one guy does seem to recall, "I remember before he left, he was bragging about some pie his wife made. I thought it a little odd he had a whole pie, he usually eats in the city before returning." Whether useful or not remains to be seen.

*

(>-------<)
| Apollonio (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 8 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Aleksandr (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 13 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Carina leaves, heading towards the Via Principale [VP].

*

Carina has left.

*

Carina arrives from the Via Principale.

*

Carina has arrived.

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 4 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Gesturing to his page boy (yes, he brings along a page on these investigations), Apollonio says in a commanding enough tone, "We'll split up. You starting heading up the river in that direction and I'll follow this route." Seems simple enough and the obedient, but slightly nervous, page begins his saunter up in the opposite direction of the river than Apollonio is taking.

Apollonio, himself, is taking slow steps to examine every little thing that he sees. He is silent for most of this, walking steadily forward. There would be silence throughout this entire ordeal, if not for the page shouting from the distance to ask various questions on whether 'this would be suspicious' or if 'that is out place'. Apollonio will often snap out a sharp, almost irritated response, but something catches his eye mid-shout and gets him to take a further look.

Peering down into the river, somewhere far beyond where he had begun, he seems to have noticed something. From there, his gaze follows some tracks along the banks as well. He follows this for a time, before returning to join the others, "How large was this ship that went missing?" He starts, before gesturing towards his findings in the water, "Could it be as big as that?" That said, he also makes mention of the tracks that he notes, "There's also some wagon tracks that start from here and ventures towards the south to avoid the road, it would seem."

*

Carina nods to Apollonio as they take the way of the river. The bank meanders some but she sticks with it, curious as the vegetation is checked for flattening. When she notices the way the water swirls at an eddy she dismounts and crouches beside the water, with Apollonio. Apparently they had spotted the same things. ?Looks like we follow the tracks?? Cutting out a lot of pointing out things seen. Climbing back up into the saddle, she guides her horse towards that direction.

*

"But we are hoping they are not so innocent, hmm?" Aleksandr banters back at Apollonio, before they split off. For him, it's down to the mill first. Obviously, the open approach of armed men (and woman) is always something to cause a little stir, but he wears a big smile in contradiction to the image of the axe resting on his shoulder, and Carina seems to have it sorted. "Do we even know how to tell… stolen wood from other wood?" he then wonders briefly of his fellows, not entirely rhetorically. To him a dead tree is a dead tree. Still, he'll poke about a bit. "A man bragging about his wife's pie's nothing new," he also adds, with a laugh and perhaps some lewd subtext, though once parted from the mill-folk and in the privacy of his company-mates, he'll add: "Could have been bringing food for friends, I suppose." But Apollonio's findins are perhaps a bit more conclusive. "Boats don't leave much of tracks anyway, may as well follow what we have to follow."

*

The wagon tracks lead into the low hills here near the river, typical river country. There isn't much room between river and the main road. But these tracks lead specifically to a few narrow valleys that could offer obfuscation from anyone along the rive, the distant road, or nearby hills. In fact, it leads to deeper ruts more often used in these hills, and to a small building that could once have been some small personal farm/holding. A few hobbled together buildings built up over the corse of years even (http://www.idesignarch.com/wp-content/uploads/Mountain-Village-Stone-House_1.jpg - minus electricity of course). Mercs can make awareness rolls here too; following the tracks and arriving near this building where the tracks lead.

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 16 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Apollonio (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 12 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Aleksandr (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 1 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

So many places. Which would it be? ?Anyone think we should split up? I think maybe not it?d take quite a few to take the entire shipment, perhaps.? Keeping her voice down for safety sake. ?Maybe we?ll be safer in a group.? She still holds back though since she?s no inclination which way to go or check, waiting to see if anyone else has anything to say.

*

Back in the saddle again and following the narrow trail further down the river, Apollonio doesn't much care for the strange loneliness of this path, especially when they come across many of the smaller, run-down little homes that seem to litter the place. Echoing Carina's concerns, he does chime in, "I don't like the look of this place either. Various routes for riff-raff to lurk. Though anyone would be fools to try anything against us." Taking this time to survey the random streets, the young merc seens nothing of interest, aside from the bright eerie glow of the lanterns that hang outside several of these houses.

*

Once they're on these paths, Aleksandr parts with the whole 'friendly stroll down to the mill to have a nice talk' attitude. There's caution as they plod along, weapons held near ready. And after some distance approaching, he signals for his friends to hold up, and his voice drops down. He points to some spot along the trail where there's some scuff marks and maybe even darker stains in the dirt. "Captain may not have made it." And worse than that, a nod up ahead. "Man on guard, and it looks like he's waiting for someone. Buyer? More friends? Doubt we'll sneak up on him," their armor being the heavier sort, "but maybe we rush him?"

*

The man is in one of those nooks where two buildings buttress each other as the site build up. He is unaware at the moment of the approach, his eyes instead turned towards where wagon ruts lead off to the main road in this area.

*

Ah, it seems that good Aleksandr has found something that Apollonio, himself, had missed. When his attention is brought to the lone figure, however, the merc's hazel eyes narrow to take in the full visage of this man, studying his posture, his attire and whether he is armed or not. Quietly, he lowers himself from his horse to creep in closer to his other party members so as not to speak so loudly. "Didn't think they were going to keep him around." He says of the kidnapped Captain, but this just makes his delicate brow furrow even more. With a silent gesture towards his page, the young boy scrambles off of his own horse to detach Apollonio's great sword from his horse's saddle and then bring said weapon to the man. It's a heavy piece of weaponry that is no doubt intimidating to look at if anything. During this time, Apollonio has been calculating what he feels is the best route to take. "I would have thought it was a good idea to wait and see who the man is waiting for, but if we get to him quickly enough, we may be able to learn more before his partners arrive."

*

Carina has partially disconnected.

*

with the situation pointed out by the more aware mercenary, Carina finds her sword and takes it in hand without making much sound. ?Dismount from here or charge then?

*

"I can't see that if the lumber already left, they're bringing it *back*," Aleksandr points out. "So either its here and we find it, or its long gone and that's just trouble coming." And then a little roll of his shoulders. "Get there first, maybe he surrenders?" It's said with a dubious 'haha things never work out that way' tone. Either way, he too is making ready to rush the fellow.

*

Apollonio is already off of his steed and with great sword in hand, he looks ready to simply march on over there to confront the man. "Where does he have to run when he realizes that we're approaching? Back into that house where we could just break down the door? I mean, there would be no reason for him to try and escape if he were innocent." Nevermind, the fact that he may not try to escape and attempt to stand his ground and fight, but that is neither here nor there for the mercenary. "No need to waste anymore time, if you want to rush out ahead and gain and possible hold his attention, on horseback, go for it, Carina. The rest of us will charge in on foot."

*

?I can come in from over there.? Carina indicates another side, and starts riding that direction so she can distract him and the other two can sneak in perhaps, drawing the attention onto herself and away from the others.

*

"I'm for that," Alek will agree with Carina's plan. "Ride out and make a fuss, and we'll blindside him. Not much louder than us, but a horse might just be. And he won't be able to outrun you." It's a plan! Waiting for her to break off, the greatweapon pair can then make their 'sneaky' (there are not enough quotes in the world) approach to hopefully catch the fellow by surprise, or at least pin him in.

*

Carina has partially disconnected.

*

Once she is far enough away from the others in a different direction, Carina tugs back on the reins and the horse whinnies. With a determined expression she shouts, ?H?ya!? Using the heels of her boots to bring her horse around so she can be seen easier. The horse makes the same noise again and she shouts out to the man on the roof, making a wild guess as she does. ?The shipment details have changed! I?ve come to buy it.? Nope, she hadn?t but hey it was worth a try.

*

(>-------<)
| Apollonio (Dex) |
| -----— |
| Fumble! |
| -
------ |
| Attribute: 11 Roll: 20 |
(>-------<)

*

Apollonio moves in quickly immediately after Carina takes off on her horse to try and distract the single guard. Alongside his fellow merc, Aleksandr, he charges forward with great sword in hand — or charges in as quickly as one can with such a sizeable weapon, nevermind the armor. The stone pathway and the metal pieces of their armor make this stealth business a difficult one, especially when the mercenary's foot kicks forward one of the loose stones in his advancement, though it does little to slow his momentum. Uncertain as to whether he's been heard, it makes little difference now that they are so close.

*

(>-------<)
| Aleksandr (Dex) |
| -----— |
| Critical Success! |
| -
------ |
| Attribute: 13 Roll: 13 |
(>-------<)

*

Success
Gurian makes a check for Awareness at 10, he rolled 4.

*

Advancing alongside Apollonio, Aleksandr creeps with his weapon ready, the haft in both hands and close to his chest. They wait on Carina's visible approach before getting too near, and then start forward more in earnest - quiet as they can be weighed down in all that metal, quiet as they can be while still getting to the man quickly enough not to cause a bigger fuss. Really, it's sort of bound to be a debacle one way or another! He's making reasonable progress himself, yet as his comrade stumbles through the loose ground, Alek just gives a grunt and… kinda gives up on the whole thing? New approach: the slightly-reformed foreign barbarian with a huge axe is gonna murder you routine. "Raah!"

*

Failed.
Gurian makes a check for Valorous at 8, he rolled 9.

*

To be fair the distraction was a good distraction, he was watching it. Standing up and scratching his head as if pondering the time. He would nearly agree to it too, but then the rattling on stone especially the loose one knocked free, alerts him. He begins to turn, at first reaching his hand for a weapon. That sword at his side. Its that two are rushing, with large weapons, and yelling at him that gives pause. "Whoaa! Take it all!" He lifts his hands up into the air and backs up, almost flinching already but trying to yield. In a manner. His eyes stay up as he looks at the approaching group. (if no one stops, they can attack him unopposed, or they can make awareness or intrigue checks)

*

While his angle wasn't focused on pure stealth, Apollonio also isn't expecting to slice through this single opponent without finding out some answers first. So when the man quickly surrenders when he sees himself surrounded by a trio of mercenary guards, the Savo guard lowers his large and heavy sword somewhat, but not in an unthreatening manner, and simply asks, "Take what all?" Now his eyes move from the lone watchman to the house whose patio he was guarding. "What exactly will we find here and whose place is this?" So many answers without reading the man his rights.

*

(>-------<)
| Apollonio (Law) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 2 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

While he's barraging the 'poor' man with a variety of questions, Apollonio keeps close watch on his body language, the way he stands, how his muscles contract and also, the shifting of his eyes. Here, his own muscles tense and instinctively, he raises his sword somewhat, "Something is odd. We might not be alone or… this one is buying time." With his chin, he gestures towares the house as if telling Aleksandr that someone or something may be in there.

*

Carina has partially disconnected.

*

For all of that yelling and posturing, it is entirely just that: a routine. Whatever his heritage, Aleksandr is no more a genuine barbarian than the average Matoran - well, apart from whatever mild feelings of cultural superiority they might have toward their Eastern neighbors and their own odd custom. Still, he's a religious and perfectly civilized man who knows that people are willing to think him otherwise. All which mostly means that no, he's not going to just run up and butcher the poor man if it looks like he's surrendering. Leaving Apollonio to do the law & order bit, he maintains his fierce presence and ready stance, menacing the fellow, and after a moment, reaches to relieve the man of his sword. "More inside I figure? Or coming."

*

While the others are doing their interrogation, Carina rides towards the road where the man had been watching, only barely cresting the rise to see over it if there were others coming, perhaps the expected company? She doesn't poke her head far over, but she does go check if it isn't too far from the others, not wanting to separate too long.

*

"Take all who, from?" The man pieces together some words from what Apollonio offered as questions. As if trying to decide how to answer all those quetions. "More inside?!" He raises his voice, turning his head slightly to the side. The side the stone home is on, "Not that I'm aware!" Which may not help his situation. He does look to Apollonio more directly, "All the wood?" Hands still up as Aleksandr releives him of sword, he points with one towards Carina, "She's not with you, or?"
No others are coming along the road. The man looks from her in the distance now where he pointed then back to the house. His look seems to raise some hope, as if he was searching for it there, feeling more uncomfortable.

*

Apollonio, being the learned son of a barone, doesn't take too lightly on, well, simpletons. Or he lacks the patience for such, so when the matter stumbles over his words, giving off this completely understandable nervous vibe, the merc from Savo moves quickly to stand at the side of the door, leaning in towards the window, but hiding his person from view of it. He seems to be listening in, to gauge how many people, if any, are actually inside. Sharing a passing look with Aleksandr, Apollonio once more gestures to the door, while he, himself, remains on the ready with both hands clutching the hilt of his sword.

*

(>-------<)
| Apollonio (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 12 Status: |
(>-------<)
-— New Activity ---

*

Aleksandr's posture relaxes somewhat once he has the weapon, stowing it away. "Mm, maybe we're the ones he was waiting for?" he considers, with a smirk. "Lad, you may want to consider how this goes for you, not for them. Was it you who killed the Captain?" Suddenly the smirk is gone, and his tone is serious. "Whoever did it, hangs for sure. But I don't think it was you. They don't put the butcher on watch. That's a shit job for the new guy." With this, he drags their captive a bit away. "Maybe you want to tell them to surrender the man who did it, and maybe the rest of you only rot in prison a few years?" Whatever the watchman says, he shoves him bodily away after a few moments, perhaps back toward Carina as she returns to them, and himself turns to stalk toward the door with his axe. Now he's loud enough for anyone inside to hear as well: "Last chance! Surrender and give us the murderer, and maybe it goes easy for the rest of you."

*

Carina turns to ride back to the others, it is a short distance, but once there she doesn't interrupt, just does her best to look intimidating as she tries to catch up on what is going on with the other two mercenaries. Her sword remains unsheathed and she dismounts, placing a fairly good sized rock onto the reins to keep her horse thinking he's trapped there. A big scare would allow him to run free, but he can casually graze. Walking towards where the other two are, she listens.

*

"Kill the lad, we don't care," comes a voice inside, middle of the room. The lookout is shoved in the direction of Carina and whether she comes to apprehend him or not, it seems he's not in for a fight and given himself over already. His sword has been taken and that may help reduce the fight in him. In fact he offers a name in moving, "Dalmazio sent us for the wood, the boat overturned in the river, they …" Or so he begins. "Enough words Marticus," calls the man inside. "Hurry, go," he is then saying more quietly, inside the room, as Aleksandr reaches the door. This man is perhaps in his 30s and armed with sword, he comes forward to meet him. That is about the time the sound of large wooden doors being thrown open in an adjacent building can be heard, from a side facing off towards the main room. Maybe the ones he told to hurry. There is the nick sound of someone clicking tongue, then the sound of leather giving a light whip, to accompany the noise, rains most likely. Followed by several hooves starting to move, but nothing comes forward

*

Apollonio pays the disarmed man no mind, though quietly, he takes in the names mentioned. With Aleksandr's frame blocking the entryway, the sound of hooves and the opening of what could very well be stable doors nearby gets Apollonio to shift, so that he can get a better look, first, inside of the room through the window and then to observe the stables in the distance. With his armor and weapon, it will take a while for him to make it there, but believing that Aleksandr may have thing in hand here, he calls out to Carina, "Don't let them leave." He's not sure how many people are at the stables, but he will do what he can to help her close in on them. Giving a shrill whistle, the Savo merc's page is alerted and he too, with his much smaller sword, helps to cover some ground for the group.

*

"Shit they're running for it," Alek calls back toward Carina. She, at least, is NEAR her horse! He, however, faces whatever man inside with his big axe in hand, looking none too concerned by any threat he offers. "See, you steal from a Conte, they hire professionals. Real soldiers. That's us. I've fought the Kataro, other Companies, and I've fought pissant robbers like you. Latter doesn't give me a whole lot of concern." Squaring his shoulders, he faces the other man. "You wanna do this, we'll do this. And then we just kill all of you and save the trouble of hauling anyone back."

*

Carina had completely missed the adjacent building or she might have checked it before coming over. Watching the lookout, she smirks towards the unarmed man, "Today is as good a day as any to die." As she hears the doors, she doesn't hesitate in turning and running back towards her horse since she hadn't yet gotten far, and she mounts, ready to help cut off their path at the door and help to surround them. SHe doesn't bother talking, letting the others do it, except a sharp call that she would block the doors that had opened if possible.

*

In fairness, as pages are called, it points out agreement with Aleksandr's words. Real soldiers. There is hesitation then from the man. "Look, just a misunderstanding." That and the imposing from of Aleksandr, filling in the door frame as well. "We thought you were the buyer." Some other ruffians, the ones who felt they could really get away with the wood. And probably meant to cover up a misunderstanding. He lowers ths sword to a nearby table or counter, trying to seem less ready to fight. Though any other, less professional, might have gone another way.
The horses are trying to pull a wagon load of planks, thus the slow start, there is time to get around to block them off before they get too far. There is some fencing on either side to lead a team drawn wagon out without risking the wagon falling off the small teracced ledge near the house. Her horse appearing in front is enough to startle the others that their misdirection gives the wagon pause. It will be hard to get it moving again.
The lad outside that surrendered first looks to Apollonion even as his page comes over with a sword. "You're not going to kill us are you?" Uncertain if he should get down or just try to flee outright. He stays there the moment at least as things may be simmering down.

*

There is a sense of relief that washes over Apollonio when Carina swoops into the rescue and prevents the wagon of stolen goods from leaving. Now there is very little need to hurry on his part and that's how he likes it. With his young page wandering Carina-ward to assist the lady Merc with the wagon driver, Apollonio keeps his eyes in the direction of the stable, looking all knightly and majestic, before he is distracted by the quivering voice of that other kid who was tasked to stand guard. "If you make any sudden moves, I might consider." And with this said, he brandishes his greatsword once more, for show. "Drop to the floor and sit." He practically commands, all the while the other mercs do their thing in rounding up these unsavory… villains, if they can be called that.

*

Aleksandr's attitude remains stern, though as the other man relents somewhat in his hostility, his own imminent threat of violence seems lessened. "A misunderstanding? Sure, sure. We can straighten out part of it by seeing that the 'misplaced' goods end up back where they need to be," and he glances sidelong toward where the wagon is retreating, relieved to see that Carina has cut it off. "And that the lot of you put down your weapons and step outside. But," and again, there is a grim seriousness that intersperses with his otherwise… personable, even occasionally easy-going demeanor demeanor. "I'm going to need to know what happened to the Captain. And I suspect it's nothing good. Let's just be straight with that. I'm sure none of you want to suffer for one man getting nervous, then getting stupid, hmm?" He steps back a bit from the door enough for them to pass, assuming they follow his commands - ready to step back in if otherwise.

*

Keeping it blocked, her sword drawn, Carina gives a wicked little grin to those on the wagon. "Selling what isn't yours to sell." Following it with a tsking sound. When they all do seem to be giving it up, she smirks, "We are the law in these parts," whether they are or not, "And the owner of the goods doesn't appreciate your interference in the delivery of them to their proper place. Where is the captain of the vessel?"

*

"Yes sir," says the one to Apollonio, getting to the ground a sitting. Assuring he's no where near a weapon. He looks up and keeps quiet for the moment. Inside the man nods, "Just us four, come out Marcutio." A pause, louder this time, "Marcutio, its done." A man will come from a back room, it seems he was preparing a crossbow. If only the lookout where faster. He has the unloaded weapon in one hand, the bolt in the other. Which he puts down as he steps through a door into the proper main room of the compound. They will follow where directed, the oldest that had the sword says, "The captain acted up, tried to run. There was a fight, didn't mean for it to end the way it did for him." The other man with him looks at him, inneundo towards Aleksandr in a rat move to suggest who did the killing, even though the man is suggesting it was an accident.
The man in the wagon says to Carina, "He's about 300 meters back down towards the river, covered in some bush." Affirming what Aleksandr and Apollonio had confirmed.
It is easy to round them up, and technically, as the Wyvern Guard, they can determine the fate of the man who killed the captain, the others give clear evidence who did it. Otherwise, with horses and a wagon, the goods can be returned to Conte Gurian who certainly makes good on their contracts.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License