(2018-05-22) White Hart or Not?
It is in your moments of decision that your is shaped
carina alvise raffiano 
ruins.jpg
Summary:
A group heads to a distant District of Matora to gather game for the feasting to come at the Convivial
Related:
Convivial Preparations
Misc Info:
The group is test, as they come upon a wounded animal and must determine if it is a white hart and if that bears weight in sparring its life due to superstition

Out north, beyond the harbor, even past the lands of Albrici there, a further district has made effort to hunt, dogs and falcons, for a mix of game big and small for the feasting to come for the Convivial. A small group was asked out to the northeast of Matora to gather this. It was a good days ride, half the day there, and then half a day back. The group started in tight formation, but some have ridden ahead, chasing or racing or making an event of the group going to gather these provisions. Some are slower going with the wagons for the larger game. Currently a group in the middle rides at a decent pace, perhaps in conversation.
The day has seen a mix of grey clouds and light sprinkles of rain. Nothing to deter from moving on the roads or waiting for it to clear. But its brought a remnant cool wind from the north to push off warm spring weather off the Domino Mare here. The road skirts the coast here, no more than a mile at most from the waves of the Domino Mare, sometimes it winds near the hills just above the narrow beaches in the region.
Among this group is Raffiano di Albrici. He wears leathers and has his sword. If there were any from Gaspari in this group helping the city in preparation, he was sure to avoid them. Out of the blue, he intones, "I am not sure what my brother thinks, he has not invited me to raid Gaspari. I wonder if he no longer trusts me." As if that could matter.

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Courtesy) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 3 Mod: 0 Total: 3 |
| Roll: 5 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

There's a simple enough reason to find Alvise di Sabastino among the middle group: it's the place to be for someone without a strong purpose to be there. The first group is those eager to hunt. The last group is those seeking particular prey. Alvise is present. He is a large man, somehow markedly less fashionable than most around, even when everyone involved is dressed for riding rather than being seen. Alvise nods to Raffiano as the latter voices his lament. Of course, he has no idea who Raffiano's brother is, so makes no mention of specifics. "Well, the Conte di Albrici is not known to be an unshrewd man. Perhaps he has other plans for now, and your specific assistance will be requested at another time," he says.

*

The middle was a nice and comfortable spot to ride and one of the most familiar faces was there so it where the Wyvern Company mercenary could be found. Perhaps to guard the nobles but more likely out to hunt with them. She rides comfortably among them but casts a skeptical look towards Raffiano, the person she knows best among them. "All the more reason to join the ranks of the Ventura." Since Carina had been trying to talk him into it, why not play it up?

*

A bobble of his head indicates indifference from Raffiano at the thoughts on his brother. With a turn to look over at Signore Alvise di Sabastino, he nods a little. "I suppose, or hope at least." Then a grin at the seeming quip from Carina, "I think you might serve the company better as recruiter instead of solider. Have you spoken to them about this just yet?" A grin from him at the thought however as the group continues to move along. Here the road is more away from the shore, passing some ruins of old, some town that never quite grew at some point perhaps. Only stone used for the Centum (church) seems to remain, off near the beach, the best reason perhaps, why the road is this far away at this section. Its run over with growth and vegetation, better forgotten in the past most likely. +check awareness

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 8 Mod: 0 Total: 8 |
| Roll: 6 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Awareness) |
| -----— |
| Success |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 4 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

There are a few black birds circling the ruins of that Centum, chasing away a larger black bird. Carrion it looks like, circling for the moment.

*

Alvise does spot the circling birds. He takes a moment to look them over in the sky, to distract from the distressing turn of the conversation. Any implication that younger siblings of a Conte or Contessa should earn their own way in some manner he naturally finds so. Alvise finds his voice well enough to comment, "I should hope that it has not come to that for you, Signore, but we do as we must," while earnestly studying the birds in a way that he might well not have otherwise. Finally perceiving the nature of the larger bird, he pulls off course slightly towards the beach, and the ruins, in hopes of a better look. Perhaps some wounded game from the hunt has hidden itself there.

*

"Can't argue the coin and the pleasure of the job." Carina dashes in one more time, "Haven't talked to anyone about it but you." She squints a little and looks out over the horizon at the circling birds then back to the others to see if anyone had noticed. She sees Alvise watching them and smirks, giving the horse a little direction by tugging gently on one side of the reins. "Looks like they found something dead. Or close to it," she observes to Alvise.

*

A grin from Raffiano, he responds, "I may take the option before I am asked to leave the home." No telling how long he'll remain valid as brother to Nicolo, then uncle to some heir/ess to come. He certainly doesn't see it. "Just me, I'm honored," he is commenting as they seem to notice something. Even, veering in that direction. To which, Raffiano certainly follows suit, turning his horse to follow the course they are setting for the ruins. "Maybe," he agrees to Carina, not yet forming his own opinion.
There is a tumbled down wall surrounding what was once a yard of the old Centum, with the wall down there itself. The roof is collapsed and weathered away here. No telling the state of the other walls, but that is the quickest path to where the birds circle. +check valorous, opposed, winner gets to the centum first for being the bravest with the ruins

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Valorous) |
| -----— |
| Success Valorous |
| -
------ |
| Valorous |
| Trait: 10 Roll: 9 |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Valorous) |
| -----— |
| Success Valorous |
| -
------ |
| Valorous |
| Trait: 11 Roll: 10 |
(>-------<)

*

Spurred on a bit by high-spirited companions, Alvise races his horse through the ruins towards the area the birds circle over. At one point it seems certain that the Wyvern Company member would overtake him and reach the area first, but, somehow, he reaches the yard of the old Centum first, for whatever reason. Into view comes precisely the sort of outcome that he had hoped for: a wounded deer. Still living, the meat will be unspoiled. Wounded, it will not run far or fast. With just a bit more luck, Alvise's 'participation' in these preparations will be entirely successful and largely concluded. He moves to position his horse to cut off any potential escape while he tries to determine if the deer even has it in itself to try to run anymore.

*

While not exactly racing there, Carina follows along and when she rounds the walled ruins after the nobleman she laughs softly to herself. As Alvise takes up one position to cut off escape, Carina takes her horse to another before dismounting with a knife and a rope in hand, the rope taken from the saddle. "We can round him up and take him in." How wounded he is, she doesn't know, but her horse blocks one exit while Alvise blocks another. There's a glance towards Raffiano, "Want to cut off his escape from the way we came in?" That leaves at least one opening, but she carefully and cautiously approaches the future meal, hopefully.

*

(>-------<)
| Raffiano (Folklore) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 1 Mod: 0 Total: 1 |
| Roll: 11 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Folklore) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 5 Mod: 0 Total: 5 |
| Roll: 8 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

THe last one to everything, Raffiano doesn't notice the deer until the others are up and moving around to close off escape and see what the status of the animal is. The scrabble of hunters and horse hooves bound of the rubble. The animals ears perk up, turn towards the noise, but perhaps it is too wounded to fun just yet. Its nostrils flare on the wet winds of the mixed weather day, that if any cooler than now would send tendrils of stream into that mid morning to early afternoon air. A moment late himself, Raffiano is reaching for his spear, he probably prefers boar to deer it would seem.
That is when a voice calls out. From the old foyer, which is but an archway left, doors long gone from the jambs, comes a voice. "Wait," the voice is laced with age, femine despite the wisp of time in the words, "It is a white hart, it is bad luck to hunt such an animal. It risks bad luck." Says the voice. And indeed, its hard to tale, an argument could be made either way, light tan to gold or white. One thing is certain, it was wounded, perhaps by other hunters out today, but none have given chase to this ruin, only the marks of its wounds indicates it has been hunted already.

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Prudent) |
| -----— |
| Success Reckless |
| -
------ |
| Prudent |
| Trait: 10 Roll: 12 |
| Reckless |
| Trait: 10 Roll: 6 |
(>-------<)

*

Alvise pauses a moment to consider the words from the archway, but then continues on in his positioning to take the animal and slaughter it. "I'm not sure from here that it is white, actually," he says, and adds, "It's already been hunted once today, anyway. If there's bad luck to be had, maybe it's all for that other person. I'm really just trying not to leave a wounded animal to die needlessly out here, food for naught but the scavengers."

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Merciful) |
| -----— |
| Failed Cruel |
| -
------ |
| Merciful |
| Trait: 11 Roll: 16 |
| Cruel |
| Trait: 9 Roll: 17 |
(>-------<)

*

Somewhat agreeing, Carina gestures with the rope in hand towards the circling birds over head. "Death is imminent already or they wouldn't be camping out here, waiting for it." She has the rope in hand and considers a moment longer without closing in immediately for the kill. "What say you, white hart? Should your life be spared this day?" For some reason not eager to jump this one and finish it off. Her eyes flick between the deer, the old woman with the voice and the two nobles with her. "Let's hold off. I'm just superstitious enough to have my doubts. Are there objections?"

*

Still working on getting his spear from the saddle, Raffiano just now has it, and is joining with the two as this conversation develops. The deer is not moving to leave just yet. Either, indeed, too wounded, or feeling cornered and not yet to a state of fight or flight. One foreleg moves, but with little effort, to try and rise a little, its head turning about. To the voices, to the surroundings to find any holes perhaps. None remain with the move by Alvise.
The old woman intones, "I cannot speak of the ways of Visitante, perhaps this is a sign for your hunt today, or something to come. It is your decision to make." She does step more out of the doorway, she is old, cloaked, and with a satchel, perhaps come to try to heal the creature.

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Folklore) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 1 Mod: 0 Total: 1 |
| Roll: 9 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

Inadvertently, Carina has hit upon the perfect argument to calm a rampant Alvise. The call to do nothing is one that speaks to his very core. "Hold off?" he echoes, a question that obviously requires no answer. "Just wait and see what happens?" He shrugs and backs off, returning to his horse to get a drink of water. Alvise points back to the deer with his mouth full of water and garbles, "If that thing dies while I'm still here, I'ma eat it, though." He just doesn't know enough about signs and luck and Visitante to argue that point.

*

With the mission deterred, Carina gestures towards the deer, "Then get on with it, miss, and fix it if you can. If you can't and it dies, I won't stop my friend here from eating it. We won't let it go to waste. Surely any animal should never die in vain and go to waste." She steps back to give the woman room and gestures to the deer again, sort of taking over. "Quickly now." Leaving her little option.

*

Blinking a moment himself, Raffiano lowers the spear but doesn't put it away. "Exactly my thoughts," he concurs with the current decision, though really, he had no opinion other than meat most likely.
The woman nods, "My thanks, Signora." And she moves through the remnants of debris left in the Centum proper, to move towards the deer. It is indeed too wounded to move at the moment, and she is quick of hands. Removing the arrow, or what is left of it and applying a salve to the animals. Whether the salve works or not, it is more likely the arrow in the muscle of the animal that kept it moving too much further. With the arrow removed it scrabbles towards feet, and then slowly stands. Timid for certain, but moving, a little. Not from the area.
Raffiano looks impressed, but he knows not the ways of medicine or wounds for that matter. "Well, I hope we do have some good luck now." Said more towards Carina who seemed to make the decision to allow the woman the attempt. "And now, we're behind on gathering game." As if it needed to be said, not that he cared either way, it was a trip out of the city. Sure, he enjoys hunting, but this moment in the Centum is a curious distraction.

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Suspicious) |
| -----— |
| Failed Trusting |
| -
------ |
| Suspicious |
| Trait: 12 Roll: 16 |
| Trusting |
| Trait: 8 Roll: 15 |
(>-------<)

*

Under certain circumstances, Alvise might well have been somewhat disappointed that the easy kill is, instead, up and moving around and possibly being carefully tended back to health rather than field dressed and then eaten. However, he is momentarily distracted by Carina's mentioning of the very commonly used but much less seldomly heartfelt phrase "my friend" to refer to Alvise himself. He considers for a moment whether to place his mostly imagined charm on full display but is further distracted from this distraction by the presence of the old woman herself. Having no idea who she is, whether she lives here in the ruins, or why she carries the tools of a healer, he asks casually after her presence, "And who might you be, Signora? From where have you come, to be here at this time, and with the intent, skill and tools to tend a wounded animal in this way?"

*

"I can manage being behind, especially if we gather the favor of the Visitante." Carina speaks after the deer gets to its feet. The rope is walked back over to her horse, the dagger tucked in a hidden sheath in her boot as she prepares to get back on her horse again. Instead of questioning the old woman, she leaves that to Alvise, until she nears, once back on her mount. Then a question comes with a narrow eyed look. "If you were us and hunting for a feast, where would you go to find a wealth of meat to feed many?" Eyeing the animal and the old woman in turn, quite taking the blame as Raffiano had delivered it, but not minding.

*

Raffiano nods, "This is true, perhaps we shall find the biggest buck on this hunt, with luck in our favor now." A grin from Raffiano, but curiousity turns to the woman as well as the others address her.
She is packing her satchel up once more and turns to look. "I am Marsinia, I live not far from here. To hunt is ones pleasure, I only saw the white hart run into the ruins here. I could not let it die." She explains as if that might help. "It was luck, perhaps the Visitante wished me to see them, perhaps it was fate." She gives a slight shrug though, she is unsure truly why it would seem. "My husband has meat from his hunting, I would offer it in exchange for the life of this hart if that is your wish Signori."

*

Alvise simply nods and remarks, "Thank you for satisfying my curiosity, Signora Marsinia. Many things happen for no further reason than 'it was this way today.'" He mounts his horse again and smiles to her, "Honestly, I'd half wondered if you simply wanted us to vacate the area so that the spoils of the hunt would be for you and yours. You, of course, would not be offering meat in exchange for the hart if that were so. Thus, I find that you are not motivated by mere shrewdness, which I could understant, but by some kindness or reverence, which I do not. Not completely. But I wish you a good day in it." He pulls away a bit on his horse, not leaving, but opening up a little distance, leaving Carina and Raffiano to consider her parting offer for themselves.

*

Carina leans slightly forward on her mount as she listens and her eyes widen slightly. Still, she lets Alvise respond before she does, and she follows his lead as well. "No, Signore. I would not take the meat of less able bodied people when I am quite capable of hunting on my own. Just get on safely back home, there are a lot of people out in the woods today hunting, you'd be safer there." Her edict given, she dips her head and loosens the reins in her hands so she isn't holding her horse still, then gently nudges him on, "Hya!" she tells the beast, and he starts trotting out to go restart the hunt.

*

Raffiano is confused a moment, listening as Alvise and Carina address the woman, Marsinia. A glance to Alvise more so about shrewd and reverence as if trying to make sense of that and sort of getting it. The man turns to put some distance there, and Raffiano looks to Carina who declines the offer. Thus, Raffiano turns his horse, nodding, "Well, it seems it is deciding, my thanks for the offer Signora, and now to enjoy my own hunt."
Marsinia lets them part as the deer begins to move more to be away. "My thanks then," she says humbly, not explaining her reverence or kindness, but letting the nobles part her company humbly.
Raffiano, of course, mentions to the other two as their group reconvences, "So, we're not taking the offered game?" Just to be clear himself.

*

Riding away, Alvise agrees with Raffiano, "Well, I've decided not to take the offer, but I would guess it was there for each to consider." After a few more steady clomping steps from his horse, Alvise adds, "I am in an unusually good position for choosing not to accept it, however, which may not apply to either of you. It just so happens that I am not a good hunter." He laughs and continues, "The waste of my time on this little errand most likely did not prevent me from making an impressive kill somewhere else. I can assure you that no one from my family was counting on me to provide any large portion of the requirements. But I've had a nice ride, if that's any consolation."

*

Riding along with them, Carina leaves the old woman behind with only a glance back. "We can go on and do as we were bid to do anyway, collect the carcasses of the ones downed by the actual hunters, if there is any collect. Those behind us may have already collected them in our stead." Her teeth flash in a quick grin to Alvise at his reckoning on the matter and gets her horse going at a trot again, "I think the same can be said about most of us."

*

"Well, I can only say, it was an adventure," grins Raffiano. He's good either way. "I think in the end, the tally of who brought what will not matter so much as the feast will be enjoyed." His own two cent, but he adds on, "I am sure you could simply join, I am nearly confident Signora Carina and I could return something. A small token, via a hunt." BUt a grin, he works to rescure that spear finally, "I will confess the same, the joy of the ride is more than well enough. And this tale of the white hart, I am sure it is to capture more ears than tales of slaughtered boar and hind just the same."

*

"Oh, of course I would join in," Alvise says, "should we find something to run down. Or collect carcasses, should we cross any of those on our way to rejoin the group. But, as you say, we will at the very least be able to bring a story with us to the feast. That is not at all the same as actually being empty-handed." So he continues riding on.

*

"I agree, whatever we bring, if nothing, if anything, then we'll at least have had an adventure and maybe even believe we had some good luck for letting that white deer live." Carina is going to call it a white one either way now, to be forever in her memory as such after having spared its life. She rides along with the others, falling silent after awhile.

*

Silent as she goes for the moment, Raffiano considers the story, "True, very true Signore Alvise." As if letting it digest in his brain a moment to realize a story had its own proverbial weight. That thought will certainly be borrowed. Then a glance to Carina, "Then, shall we look for game sign? Or enjoy the ride?" As he too is good with either.

*

(>-------<)
| Carina (Hunting) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 4 Mod: 0 Total: 4 |
| Roll: 5 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Alvise (Hunting) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 2 Mod: 0 Total: 2 |
| Roll: 12 Status: |
(>-------<)

*

(>-------<)
| Raffiano (Hunting) |
| -----— |
| Fumble! |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 20 Status: |
(>-------<)

Having already been looking around with every bit of his minimal skill, Alvise repeatedly finds nothing and eventually admits so. "Hmm. I've been looking and haven't seen anything. If we weren't still in sight of the road from here, I would be in growing concern. But we know that if we continue North along the road, we'll run into the wagons again, at least." He continues along pleasantly enough, evidently not flexing his hunting muscles further until reunited with the larger group that had set out from Matora.

"Oh we can look, most certainly." Carina rides out with them and they don't seem to find anything. They do seem to get lost though. Tipping her head towards Alvise, she nods, "North it is, don't let me lead I'd likely make it worse." She does look towards the sky and the position of the sun, but she doesn't cut off on her own, simply following with her group.

Raffiano is there to save the day, though they might notice he started south and turned to catch up. "What, there are tracks right here, something large." He indicates some broken foilage, "And heading north it would seem. Convenient." He tries to follow if they let him. As the sun starts to move past midway point, they might realize he's more or less found their tracks on the chase to the Centum ruins, they may be nice to point it out to him even. Even without a catch, collecting prior hunted game still needs a few bodies and the journy is, otherwise, uneventful.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License