(2018-05-07) The Smugglers Pt. 1
The Wyvern Company assisted by members of the Great Houses go to break up a Smuggling Ring and try to find leads to their cohorts.
corso carina 
An
Summary:
The group finds smugglers, lets some thugs go, and cuts down smugglers. A Skiff escapes, and a mysterious sheaf of papers was found!
Related:
Any plots or larger stories this is part of, any links to related logs or pages?
Misc Info:
5 Smugglers were killed with a valor rating 10 each
rossana enzo faraman 

A band of smugglers have been found to be operating within the city of Matora, and it has been called upon to root out this Smugglers Den. Representatives from Sabastino and Farro have been asked to assist and observe the venture, though the raid is under the authority of the senior Wyvern Company 'guardsman'. The group has gathered near dusk in a plaza not far from where the Den lays, horses tied up, thanks to a series of narrow and tight streets that will need to be traversed to reach the Bandit's Den.

"Right," Faraman says. He's clad in reinforced chainmail, with his cloak showing the sigil of the City. His tabard meanwhile bears a big Wyvern across the front. On his back he's slung a rounded shield, while one hip has a sword and the other as a dagger. Its neither he's fondling like a teenager watching the dockside ladies showing their legs from the second floor windows, though. That's instead his crossbow, a bolt in the ready. He has shadowed looking and tired eyes and has just a touch of alochol on his breath. His thick beard could use a trim. All the same, he has poise is that of professional calm. A man whose been here and done this more times than he probably wants to (who would want to if they could be drinking, gambling, and whoring away all their money, right?!)

"Right," he repeats himself. "We'll try not to attract too much attention, eh? You upfront, me in the back. No heroics!" The last is quite insistent. Apparently Faraman does not like heroes.

Speaking of Heroes, there is Corso, dismounting his horse, clad in partial plate and mail, a half cape thrown back over his shoulder, and a fanciful longsword worn at his side, looking like quite the Cavalieri, though moving with an ease and familiarity that shows he's no stranger to wearing the arms and armor he carries and wears. He takes his shield from where it hung upon his horse, and leaves the steed in the care of a Farro armsman that accompanied him. He proceedes to strap on his shield and offers an slight nod in the direction of the Wyvern soldiers, "Let's kill some smugglers, shall we?"

Besides, horses make too much noise on city streets, all that clomping, tromping and neighing. Following up with Faraman is Carina. An honorable sort, she genuinely is in this for the right reasons. The coin, right? It sure helps a lot, but being paid by the city, she is loyal to the city. She has her hand on the hilt of her sword, the sword strapped on. Hearing Corso, a fleeting smile briefly crosses her features and she gives a concise nod in agreement. It's to Faraman though that she defers to when it comes to leading the group.

Wearing the chainmail now, Enzo looks around a bit carefully as he offers a brief nod to the others. Expression is quite serious as he looks over his sword and shield carefully once more. "Sounds like a good idea," he replies to Faraman, offering the man a brief nod, before he looks over at the others as well.

And off the fearsome foursome go, moving down the path that the informant has outlined in search of the lair of these foul smugglers, avoiding their rightful taxes and duties to the Duke. The path is claustrophobic and winding, moving between buildings built quite close together. At one point, the path brings the group to a narrow walkway running alongside a canal…

Keeping with Corso, Carina murmurs, "I'm Carina, what do I call you if I need your attention in a hurry?" She has her sword drawn and her armor on, the gear is all heavy of course, but she seems tough enough, or strong enough to carry on. The shield is on her left arm while her sword is in her right one. They get to the narrow walkway. "Do we break off and surround them or all stay together?'

Enzo nods at Faraman's words, "Good plan," he offers, nodding to the others as they move along. He's not saying much for now, just carefully watching their surroundings.

"Since things are not particularly formal here on this business, you can call me Corso, Carina." Corso replies with a bright grin at the Ragnan woman as he looks over towards her and gives a little nod of his head. When she asks the question regarding their approach, he casts a glance over his shoulder towards Faraman before his attention returns to survey the opposite side of the waterway.

"We keep tight formation, no spreading out. No chasing off anyone if it means leaving the sight of the others. I'd rather someone escape to smuggle another day, than end up floating in.. that," Faraman indicates to the waters, which like all waters near a city is probably less than pleasant. His voice is pitched quiet. "With a dagger in my back because nobody was watching it." He pauses, thinks: "Accept any offer to yield you.. uh.. deem honorable and true." Its said in a callous way that suggests anyone killed for any reason he'll just chalk up to as having been deemed _not_ honorable and true. Offer to yield nonwithstanding. His eyes scan his surroundings, including on a swivel to look behind him. Someone's suffered an ambush or ten in his time. He grimaces at the narrow walkway, then indicates they continue. "See if you can spot any lookouts. If I can put a bolt in 'em, this'll roll way easier."

The group continues along for a ways until their passage is blocked by a rudely placed building where this waterway meets another. Luckily, there is a passage to the interior that is supposed to lead to a plaza, the smuggler's hideout is located off this plaza. Noticed only by Enzo, however, there is a brief flash of light from an opposite window, like a lantern being shuttered and unshuttered several times.

Enzo comes to a brief stop as he looks over towards that opposite window. "Did any of you see that?" he asks, keeping his voice rather quietly as he keeps his eyes up there. "Looked like a flash of light, or something…"

Lips twist and Carina gives a slight shrug, "I'll remember the titles afterwards, Corso." Offered in a quiet manner, but noting the name all the same, assuming him to be Farro or Sabastino. Her boot steps are soft and she nods to Faraman, remaining at his back with Corso. It's Enzo who gets her attention and she glances around, "Saw what?" A shake of her head, "I didn't see it. Where was it?"

A nod is given from Corso to Carina before Enzo asks his question, his gaze shifting to the man and he shakes his head to Enzo, "I didn't see a thing. Where was it?" he asks, glancing around a little to see if he might notice the flashes that Enzo saw.

Faraman's crossbow swivels up towards the window Enzo indicates. He holds still for a moment, as if debating whether to unleash a bolt. Then he sighs and lowers it. "Probably the lookout. Probably made us. Or might be some other crew entirely. Or lovers sending hidden messages." But he obviously doesn't believe any of that, even if the lack of certainty has kept him from actually shooting. "So much for surprise. They might be running off in every direction as we speak." And if that aught to be a disappointment, from his tone it's a stroke of luck. Easier than fighting, right? "But just in case, shields up, and prepare for an ambush."

Faraman gestures for them to keep going.

Enzo nods. "There," he gestures towards the window, before he nods at Faraman, checking that his shield is properly ready for what might come, before he moves forward with the others.

Despite all the looking, the light doesn't return, but down the passage, there is infact a Plaza at the far end, and when the group emerges into the Plaza they found a group of four rough looking men, armed with knives, all standing infront of a heavy wooden double door. "You all must have taken a wrong turn." One of them comments, gesturing with his knife a little, "What you're lookin' for is back thattaway." Though, that door is, according to the informant, exactly what the guardsman are looking for.

Carina glances towards where Enzo gestures but there's nothing there for her to see. Instead, she prepares for a surprise attack as much as one can prepare for a surprise, and she glances back to the rear, but she keeps going forward, periodically looking back too. Coming to an abrupt halt when they are openly addressed, she narrows her eyes, her sword up. Waiting for direction from Faraman.

"You're probably right. Easy to get turned around and get lost in this damnable maze," Faraman nods good naturedly at the four men. He doesn't aim his crossbow at them, but as he talks he looks around the plaza for any open windows looking down at them where someone might do what _he_ would have done, that is, shoot them in the back. "Still, we come all this way. Got a job to do. Same as you, I expect. So, real sorry to disturb you and all, but please give way in the name of the Duke and give us a little peek inside just to be sure before we go. You understand. Bosses be right bastards, and ain't one of them accept a reasonable answer like: 'the nice men tried to help us when we were lost' when obviously we were lost. Oh. And drop the knives, too. You can pick 'em up again in a moment." He even puts on a smile!

"Good evening. Such a lovely evening, isn't it?" comes the quiet words from Enzo to those four men, before he shrugs a little, nodding at Faraman's words to the men, and standing ready for whatever might come.

Corso's hand goes for his sword, loosening it in the scabbard and starting to draw it, "It would be faster to just jump to the part where we cut them down, rather than dance around with them all evening." He comments in an aside to Faraman, though doesn't move to engage with the thugs yet.

"Ya know, funny that." The Thug comments towards Faraman, "We was just trying to get in there too, but the thing's locked up tight as can be." He says, reaching to tug on the door a bit for emphasis, "If you all want to try and open it, me and my lads can step right on over here." He gestures off to the side, though none of them seem to be in the mood to throw down their knives.

Carina had the same thoughts as Corso, making no guise about strolling along through the night looking at stars. Her blade is up, shield at the ready, and eyes focused on the men, narrow gazed. Even so, she doesn't jump in alone, still waiting for the call from Faraman, but not looking his way. She does still glance behind them and towards that window, since the bulk of everyone's attention was on the four.

"I am sure it would be, Signore," Faraman says to Corsa with a deferential bow of the head. Still, he doesn't give the order to cut them down. Instead he addresses the Talking Thug. "The knives, please. Let's not give my most valiant friend a reason to turn this into a slaughter house. And perhaps you could tell me why you were attempting to enter while you disarm yourselves?" This time his crossbow does lift and is aimed right at the man's chest.

Rossana moves up from the back having finished checking the groups retreat. "Seems to be clear," She says in a quiet whisper as her eyes go to the thugs. There is a brightness in her eyes than can only be considered excitement, though she has it quite tightly in check. Beneath her helm those blues are bright and there may be a very slight smile crossing her lips. It isn't a happy smile though.

The group of thugs do step back a bit, off to the side, their daggers returned to their belt and the leader smirks just a bit, "Have at the door." he says with a little wave of his hand, their idea of disarming and Faraman's clearly differing from one another though.

Carina will make no attacks until given the order to do so, she follows the chain of command and while waiting, she keeps a lookout over the entire area. Still, she does tell Faraman, "If indeed these are not the thugs, though I think they are, then the real ones could be getting away while we talk this out."

"You didn't answer my question," Faraman tells the lead thug sternly, referring to why he was trying to get in in the first place. He doesn't press the matter of the knives, though. At least not right now, perhaps accepting it as a compromise. "Perhaps," he agrees with Carina. "Watch them, and cut them down if they make a false move." To Enzo and Rossana, he says: "See if you can get us inside."

Rossana's eyes go to the door and she purses her lips. "You want to get in loud or quiet?" She asks as she lifts the large warhammer from her shoulder. It almost looks ridiculous given how short she is, but the woman obviously knows it well. "Cause I can do loud."

Corso gives a sidelong look towards towards Carina and offers a little shrug of his shoulders at the woman as he moves to watch the foursome alongside the mercenary woman, "Well, hopefully we can get on in nice and quick then if these are them."

"Quiet if you can, loud if you have to," Faraman supplies.

Enzo nods a bit as he hears that, moving over to the door. Moving to check if it's actually locked, just in case, he offers a brief grin. "Let's see if this works first, hmmm?"

Carina swings her blade one way then the other before catching it tight in her hand, taking a few steps closer to be able to start cutting them down should it come to it. She wears an eerily wicked look, those glacier blue eyes looking particular icy as she regards them. "One false move," she warns them. "Just one."

Carina swings her blade one way then the other before catching it tight in her hand, taking a few steps closer to be able to start cutting them down should it come to it. She wears an eerily wicked look, those glacier blue eyes looking particular icy as she regards them. "One false move," she warns them. "Just one."

Almost as if on cue, there is the sound of something heavy falling inside, like a wooden box hitting the floor, beyond the door, and the sound of cursing issuing forth inside shortly after. The four thugs at sword point tense a little at the sudden noise, but otherwise don't react.

Faraman's crossbow swings in the direction of the door with the sound of something falling, dark eyes squinting. "Screw quiet," he barks a quiet command. "Get that door open now!" While he takes aim as if preparing to shoot the first thing he sees inside.

As the door seems to be locked, Enzo takes a few steps back, offering a brief nod to Rossana. "All yours," he offers to her, readying his own weapons.

The sound makes Carina jump too, especially when the thugs do. "What do you know?" SHe asks the foursome. "Who are you, what do you know and why are you here?" She jerks her head towards the door, "What is inside there?"

Rossana swings back and aims straight for the lock and knob holding the door closed. Bringing it down without really any noise on her part. Beyond the sound of her hammer slamming into the door of course.

"Looks like it's show time!" Corso comments aside to Carina as Rossana goes to hit the door with her warhammer, he remains nearby the Ragnan though, ready to rush to the door should he need it, however.

The door starts to buckle, the sound of wood splintering, and the door caving in enough to give a view of what's inside. First, the door is barred, the wooden bar nearly destroyed by the smash of Rossana's hammer, one more good blow, or even a kick, should do it. Beyond a skiff is just now hastily being pushed off into the canal, the skiff loaded down with a cargo, and movement can be seen within. Outside, the four thugs move to spring to action… that action being to flee away from the plaza where they're being held at sword point!

Rossana grits her teeth and brings the hammer back for one more strike. "They're launching a skiff!" She calls over her shoulder to those behind her. That door was going to be made to go away though. Bad door, all the splinters for you.

"In the name of the Duke, you're all under arrest! Stop and surrender!" But Faraman doesn't wait for anyone to actually stop or surrender. Though he at first looks like he'd love to shoot through the door, instead he swings his crossbow around, and without any compunction against shooting unarmed and running foes, launches the missile at the thug he has the best line of fire against.

Enzo frowns at the sight of the skiff inside, moving into position so he can head in right as the door opens. "We need to stop that skiff…" he says, grimacing a little as he's ready to move.

Carina leaves the capable Faraman and his beloved bow to the thugs running away. She got a damned good look at them and could track them down at a later time if they remained in the city. "This way!" she tells Corso, running towards the open door and inside with the others to fight off anyone that would prevent Enzo and Rossane from stopping the skiff. She'll cut down the nearest one if able.

And Corso will be moving along with Carina, "I'm at your side, Carina!" Corso calls, clanking along with her towards the door as it's smashed open.

The toughs all run, darting off down a pathway out of the plaza, and off to wherever, the crossbow bolt sent after one impacting a wall with a thunk, narrowly missing the thug. Inside, the group of lawfolk are met with more thugs, four of them, armed with knives, and moving to block the way as the skiff is pushed out into the open channel itself. Up above, from a second story, a window pushes open, a man with a crossbow appears!

(>--------------—<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Carina wins as their roll was higher. |
| Carina rolls (5 2 3 4 6) for 20 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 14 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Success. |
| Major Wound received. Checking for Consciousness: Unconscious! |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Enzo vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Enzo: Failed || Bandit: Fumble! |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: Chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Both rolls failed this is a tie. |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Corso vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Corso: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: Partial Pla|| Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Corso wins as their roll was higher. |
| Corso rolls (3 6 2 2) for 13 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 7 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Knockdown! |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Rossana vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Rossana: Success || Bandit: Failed |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Hammer Armor: Partial Pla|| Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Rossana wins the roll with their Success. |
| Rossana rolls (4 5 5 4) for 18 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 12 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Knockdown! |
(>
--------------—<)

Faraman takes the miss in stride. Less in stride is the damn crossbow man up in the window. That causes him to curse. While he runs to hug the wall beneath said window as he struggles to get his own crossbow bolt into the weapon, he calls out: "Crossbowman in the plaza window!"

Rossana clears the last of the impediment into the warehouse and charges in. Shield up and hammer swinging she is silent. There are not cries or growls from her, just gritted teeth beneath her helm and bright eyes. As the man is struck to the ground before her she moves to leap past him to those trying to get the skiff into the water. Hopefully her shield will keep the crossbowman's bolts from hitting home.

Corso smashes into one of the bandit thugs himself, leading with his shield, and slashing with sword, the damage isn't spectacular, however the force of his blow is enough to send the thug tumbling to the ground!

Trying to take out his opponent, Enzo doesn't quite succeed, frowning as he misses. He lets out a bit of a breath as his opponent looks like he isn't doing much better, though. So the Sabastino presses forward again, hoping the bandit hasn't recovered yet.

Trying to take out his opponent, Enzo doesn't quite succeed, frowning as he misses. He lets out a bit of a breath as his opponent looks like he isn't doing much better, though. So the Sabastino presses forward again, hoping the bandit hasn't recovered yet.

Carina was serious about taking down the guys and as soon as hers is cut down, very literally, she turns, hearing the shout from Faraman. She moves towards the entrance to the canal to see the skiff and if it was being manned, her sword drawn still, she leaves Enzo to his new buddy while Corso does his own smashing.

(>--------------—<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Carina wins as their roll was higher. |
| Carina rolls (4 3 4 1 4) for 16 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 10 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Knockdown! |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Carina wins as their roll was higher. |
| Carina rolls (4 3 4 1 4) for 16 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 10 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Knockdown! |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Enzo vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Enzo: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: Chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Bandit wins as their roll was higher. |
| Bandit rolls (3 4 1) for 8 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 16. |
| Enzo takes 0 damage. |
(>
--------------—<)

(>-------<)
| Faraman (Crossbow) |
| -----— |
| Failed |
| -
------ |
| Skill: 10 Mod: 0 Total: 10 |
| Roll: 15 Status: |
(>-------<)

Perhaps it was Carina's fault moving in to cut down the bandit Enzo was fighting. She likely got in the way of the Sabastino. The bandit takes damage and falls, and she automatically. "Faraman, we know where the Canals come out! We need to go there now!" Of course it's loud enough for Rossana and

It would seem this bandit is just as skilled as himself, and Enzo can barely get his shield in place, managing to deflect the blade coming from him. Stumbling backwards a bit, he manages to regain his balance, letting out a bit of a breath. He looks ready to face the man again, when he sees Carina's taken him down. "Thanks…" he offers, as he looks between the others.

Rossana's hammer hits the bandit in the head and he crumples to the ground. She uses her momentum to turn, stepping in to flank the bandit attacking Enzo. "Hey buddy, try picking on someone smaller," She says calmly to get the bandit's attention. Almost like a 'how do you do, can you hold the door?' type of tone.

Rossana's hammer hits the bandit in the head and he crumples to the ground. She uses her momentum to turn, stepping in to flank the bandit attacking Enzo. "Hey buddy, try picking on someone smaller," She says calmly to get the bandit's attention. Almost like a 'how do you do, can you hold the door?' type of tone.

Looking like he's about to move in for another attack, Enzo comes to a stop as he sees someone else moving to get the man's attention, and he remains where he is standing, to recover a little bit more.

Carina will not stay out and rest, with Faraman reloading, she takes charge of the moment and starts heading up the ladder, shield above her head, leading the way. It may be slow going at first, but she's heading upwards on the ladder with only her shield between her and a bolt.

Success
Corso makes a check for Bandit Daggers at 10, he rolled 3.
Corso rolls 3d6 and gets (4 5 4) for a total of: (13)
Success
Corso makes a check for Corso Swords at 25, he rolled 3.
Corso rolls 4d6 and gets (6 6 6 4) for a total of: (22)

(>--------------—<)
| Attack Roll Rossana vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Rossana: Fumble! || Bandit: Failed |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Hammer Armor: Partial Pla|| Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Both rolls failed this is a tie. |
(>
--------------—<)

Even as he starts to reload, he changes his mind. Cursing, he drops the crossbow and prepares to follow after Carina, switching to a sword instead for close combat.

Rossana curses in a hiss under her breath as the handle snaps on a poor rebound. Not even stopping she drops the handle and brings up her shield as she draws her sword. "Okay. Now I'm angry," She says and she sounds a wee bit put out. The snarl beneath her barbute has turned just a touch savage.

Corso having kept his opponent down for so long, will finally find the opening he was looking for, his sowrd thrust through the throat of the bandit in a furious attack, that leaves him open to a stab that gets him a gouge on his breastplate, though it's much worse for the Bandit.

Carina continues to climb, holding as tight as she can in case someone from above shoots a bolt or tries to stomp on her to knock her back down. If she can get through the opening, she'll roll in and curl into a ball while hiding behind her shield until the expected bolt is discharged, then she'll attack with her sword.

(>--------------—<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Failed || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Bandit wins the roll with their Success. |
| Bandit rolls (4 4 6) for 14 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 10. |
| Carina takes 4 damage. |
| Carina checks their Dex: Success. |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Enzo vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Enzo: Failed || Bandit: Failed |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: Chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Both rolls failed this is a tie. |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Corso vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Corso: Critical Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: Partial Pla|| Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Corso wins the roll with their Critical Success. |
| Corso rolls (5 2 6 5 4 3 6 5) for 36 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 30 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Success. |
| Major Wound received. Checking for Consciousness: Unconscious! |
(>
--------------—<)

Carina manages to get hit and cut when the upper bandit gets the jump on her. Cursing, she calls out, "Keep one alive! We need to know about their operation!"

Corso will move in and bring his sword down on the distracted bandit's back. Unfortunately, the blade cuts deep, a clearly lethal blow, to join with the other quite dead smugglers that have been cut down.

"Keep one of them alive!" Rossana reminds people, even as Corso takes out the man that was harrying Enzo. This is mostly directed up at the loft.

(>--------------—<)
| Attack Roll Faraman vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Faraman: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: sword Armor: reinforced || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Bandit wins as their roll was higher. |
| Bandit rolls (2 4 5) for 11 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 18. |
| Faraman takes 0 damage. |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Success || Bandit: Success |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Bandit wins as their roll was higher. |
| Bandit rolls (1 5 6) for 12 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 16. |
| Carina takes 0 damage. |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Faraman vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Faraman: Success || Bandit: Failed |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: sword Armor: reinforced || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Result: Faraman wins the roll with their Success. |
| Faraman rolls (6 6 5 1 4) for 22 total damage. |
| Armor and/or Shield reduces by 6. |
| Bandit takes 16 damage. |
| Bandit checks their Dex: Knockdown! |
| Major Wound received. Checking for Consciousness: Unconscious! |
(>
--------------<)
(>
--------------<)
| Attack Roll Carina vs Bandit |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Carina: Failed || Bandit: Failed |
| -
------ || -----— |
| Weapon: Sword Armor: chainmail || Weapon: Dagger Armor: hard leathe|
| Shield: Y Mount: || Shield: Mount: |
| Passion: 0 || Passion: 0 |
(>
-------<)(>-------<)
| Both rolls failed this is a tie. |
(>
--------------—<)

Faraman gets up there, finally, and immediately he's got a sword hacking at the bandit who'd shot at him earlier. The first pass leaves a cut in his tabard, but his chainmail holds under a dagger. The next pass isn't quite so lucky as the mercenary continues to wield his weapon with cold professional intent. Even when the bandit goes down, he holds his sword as if he is seriously considering just putting bastard out of his misery. He doesn't, though. Instead he breathes out a sour sigh. "Fucking crossbow," he growls. As if he doesn't use one himself. "Last one down! Any of them alive down there?" To Carina he adds: "Guess we'll have to keep this one alive if not."

With the damage she had taken, Carina favors her right side where the bandit had gotten a slice in when she hadn't gotten her shield up in time. It throws her off her game and she doesn't manage to make another good connect after, pressing her right arm down on the minor bleeding. It's Faraman who swoops in and knocks the guy out with well aimed blows and Carina bends over to catch her breath and nudge the fallen bandit with her boot. "Be prepared to sing, little bird. Or die." The warning given, she nods to Faraman. "I'm not carrying the bastard down."

"Yes you are. Chain of command," Faraman shoots back.

Carina tilts her head and looks at the opening. "Then I'll wait till you're on the ladder first and kick him down to you." Deadpan.

Of the smugglers, three are quite dead, and two are on deaths door, quite likely to die if not gotten to medical treatment in the near future to save them from blood loss, infection, and the gashes of swords and such they've received. The Skiff is long gone by now, and the warehouse has been hastily emptied, though there are still some signs of the smugglers operation to be found, including a small sheaf of papers that appears to have fallen on the floor nearby where the skiff was moored.

Faraman considers. "Go get some rope and we'll lower him down that way. Let's have a look around in the warehouse to see what we can find. We'll get a healer to keep him from dying before he can talk." He grunts. "Shit about the skiff getting away, but there's always next time."

Rossana comes to peer at the papers and frowns at it. She doesn't say anything and turns away after only a few seconds to check and triage the two dying men. She isn't a cold blooded killer after all. These men will stand trial as they should…if they survive. But that isn't her decision.

They do exactly that. With rope they lower him down and then take a look about the warehouse. Catching sight of the papers she looks to the others, "What do you make of these?" Carina is curious, looking at the coding. That's not her forte. Neither does she have a whole lot of interest in hurrying up to save the dying men. She'll check the clothing pockets of the others and collect the weapons, because hey, free shit.

"Don't know. Some kind of cipher," Faraman suggests of the papers when he's had a chance to look at them. Like Carina he does a 'sweep'. He suggests: "Pool what we find?" In a quiet voice where the nobles aren't supposed to hear. With a shift eye towards said nobles, too, because, you know. Their honor and stuff.

"So," Carina gives Corso a lazy smile that is brief before it fades as if it were never there. "I go back to calling you Signore now? Or can I just call you Nobleman?" It's a blatant tease and she takes the pages back. "We'll find someone who can read this jumble."

Rossana is intent on getting a rather excited and gushing wound tied off on one of the bandits. Hand bloodied she doesn't seem to be bothered as she knots the tourniquette in place and the flow stops. "This one will make it. Probably lose the arm," She stares at the smuggler hard and then shrugs and begins to move to another when she catches sight of Carina's side. "Let me see that?" She asks as she moves to the woman's side, wiping her hands on a kerchief pulled from her pouch.

"They attacked us. Hangman's noose for 'em, I'd say. A bit of public entertainment for good people of the city. Hoping I see those runners at some point, though," Faraman says of the thugs. "Ask around and hear if anyone knows 'em, too. Chances are, those boy'll talk. They weren't too keen on dying for a lost cause." Which from his tone is commendable as far as he's concerned. Look what happened to those who did!

He bows his head deferentially to Corso. "You fought well, Signore. Glad to have had you with us." And he extends that to the other nobles with another respectful bow of his head.

Corso chuckles softly, "Well, not all of us sit around, drink wine, and bed women all day. Some of us train for war as well." He says in response to Faraman, cracking a little grin as he looks towards Carina, "Corso is fine, though if your bosses come about you might have to switch to Signore." He says, watching as Rossana goes about the work on the downed smuggler before looking over at Carina again and inclines his head, "Is your wound deep?"

Corso chuckles softly, "Well, not all of us sit around, drink wine, and bed women all day. Some of us train for war as well." He says in response to Faraman, cracking a little grin as he looks towards Carina, "Corso is fine, though if your bosses come about you might have to switch to Signore." He says, watching as Rossana goes about the work on the downed smuggler before looking over at Carina again and inclines his head, "Is your wound deep?"

Rossana glances up to study Faraman for a few seconds. Yet her eyes flick back to the wound in Carina's side. "Glad I could be of help. Smugglers aren't that different from bandits, and I admit to a bit of boredom when I'm in the city," She says with a flash of a smile beneath her helm.

Rossana really should not have poked like that and she cringes, "Sorry," To Carina and then she goes and drops the bandage. The woman sighs and begins to pull the bracers and gloves off her hands. She mutters as she tries to do a better job, and that is how Carina and Rossana really met. Her sticking fingers accidentally into a side wound.

Eventually a runner from the Wyvern Company comes around, and the prisoners are taken, and the warehouse secured, leaving the nobles and the Mercenaries free to go about their way, with cut sides, broken hammers, and otherwise generally good health! As well as a mysterious sheaf of paper.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License